Vet Blog

Your Pet’s Relationship to Home Doesn’t Have to be Toxic

March 01, 2020

Since pets are naturally curious, it is extremely important to keep certain things away from paws’ reach. We encourage you to pay attention to:

  • Living rooms: Poisonous things in these areas include certain plants, fragrance products, batteries, bags/purses (which can contain many toxic items), and more.
  • Kitchens: There are many human foods that are poisonous to pets and should be kept away from them. Garbage cans should also be kept pet-proof, and alcoholic beverages need to be stored away from curious snouts.
  • Bathrooms: All medications need to be stored away in cupboards and not on countertops. Bathroom cleaning products should also be tucked away, and always remember to close toilet lids.
  • Garages: Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) products have a sweet taste that pets may enjoy. However, these items are extremely toxic and should be hidden from your animal companions. Other car products like cleaners and fluids also need to be properly stored.
  • Outdoor areas: Keep fertilizers sealed and out of reach. Grub or snail killers can also be harmful to pets, as well as insecticides and sprayed herbicides.

The above examples are just some of the common scenarios where pets can get poisoned from everyday products. If you believe your pet has ingested anything toxic, contact us immediately at (727) 526-8700. Please be ready with the label or type of object your pet has ingested.

We treat National Poison Prevention Week very seriously and we highly encourage you to contact us for additional information on household toxins and how to keep your pet away from them. You can also reach out to the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. Experts are available 24/7 to answer any questions you might have.